In the early spring of 1987, a group of parents interested in Waldorf education met at the Friend’s Meeting House in Lancaster, PA. After several meetings, mounting enthusiasm and a growing understanding of Waldorf pedagogy, the group decided to open a preschool that fall. Enrollment doubled in the second year with the addition of a kindergarten class. The school then re-incorporated, becoming an established non-profit organization, and joined the Federation of Waldorf Schools.
A Place Along the Susquehanna
A new location in the late summer of 1989, with enrollments exceeding available space, the school relocated to its present home in Marietta, not far from Lancaster and closer to the home of students from York County. This new home, a turn-of-the-century (1899) school building that had served the town of Marietta for generations as a public school, once again had children entering its arched doorway and enlivening the classrooms. SWS leased space within the building, sharing occupancy with other various organizations until December 2002. It was then that the school purchased the building and began to occupy all the available space.